At each World Congress, IDA gives awards for the best oral and written papers presented as part of the Technical Program in five categories. Winners are selected by members of the World Congress Awards Committee, using a weighted percentage score that is applied to criteria for each award.
The categories are defined as follows:
- State-of-the-Art, for the best paper that presents the application of an established desalination or water reuse technology in a way that reflects the best engineering practices in all aspects of the project or topic presented.
- Innovation, for the best paper that presents an innovative desalination or water reuse technology that has reached the commercial stage but is not yet considered to be widely adopted.
- Research and Development, for the best paper that presents fundamental or applied research of a technology or concept related to desalination or water reuse that is at a pre-commercialization stage, but shows interesting signs of development that could lead to game-changing discoveries or technologies once at maturity.
- Environment and Sustainability, for the best paper that presents a desalination or water reuse research topic, case study, technology or any project in such a way that it demonstrates how desalination can be applied while respecting the environment and applying the best sustainability principles.
- Young Leader, for the best paper presented by a member of the IDA Young Leaders Program demonstrating scientific originality on a topic that is relevant and important to the fields of desalination and/or water reuse.
In addition, IDA presents the following Awards:
The Presidential Awards are conferred upon individuals and organizations whose work on behalf of IDA and the desalination industry demonstrates outstanding achievement, leadership and vision and will be bestowed by the IDA President, Mr. Miguel Angel Sanz.
IDA’s Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes outstanding achievements and contributions to our industry. Anyone who would like to nominate a worthy candidate should submit a 250-500 word summary detailing why IDA should recognize an individual for such a prestigious award. All IDA Lifetime Awardees receive a commemorative plaque and lifetime access to attend all IDA events at no registration fee.
Nominations must be sent no later than July 1st, 2019 to email@example.com Use subject line of Lifetime Achievement Award Nomination.
Introduced in 2011, this corporate sponsored monetary award of $5000 US is given to one member of the IDA Young Leader’s Program whose contribution to the desalination and water reuse industry has shown a track record of positive leadership and originality.
In addition, delegates at the World Congress cast their votes for winners in four categories and these awards are given during the World Congress Closing Ceremony:
- Best Moderator
- Best Session Chairman
- Best Presenter
- Best Poster